At Sharks we promote progression of skiing ability through the Star Awards
The requirements for each level are shown below
BLUE ZONE 2- STAR – Whales
- In a plough position link turns to left and right
- Link turns left and right of equal radius
- Follow track of the Instructor – keeping same distance all the time.
- In pairs – follow my leader – ie turning where the leader turns.
- Make emergency stop in plough position
- Ski Safety Awareness eg. Parking at side of slope; Looking up slope before setting off. Etc..
BLUE ZONE 3 – STAR – Tigers
- Big turns using full width of slope (Turn – Traverse – Turn)
- As above – skis coming together on traverse, moving into plough to make turn. Left and Right. (Plough Swing)
- Complete short slalom course
- Follow Instructor varying speed and turn radius.
- Ski over bumps absorbing them. (Flex and Extend)
- Ski Safety Awareness – put ski on after fall ON slope.
RED ZONE 4 – STAR – Swordfish
- Balance drills whilst traversing – eg lift upper ski
- Emergency stop when instructed
- Ski from top, starting in narrow plough – finish at bottom with skis near basic parallel – i.e. ‘The Funnel’
- In pairs, follow leader varying speed and turn radius.
- Write letter ‘S’ in snow with skis whilst skiing.
- Go over small jump taking little air, flexing legs on landing.
RED ZONE 5- STAR – Swordfish
– MUST obtain before moving to Porbeagles
- Long radius turns showing flexing and extending
- 8 Linked ‘S’ shaped turns in given corridor
- ‘J’ Turn to left and right. (Falling Leaf)
- Establish ‘Home Base’ position.
- Shorter radius linked turns and appropriate posture to cope with speed.
RED ZONE 6 – STAR – Porbeagles
- Various radius turns using appropriate posture to enable pole planting
- CARVED ‘J’ turns with pole plant to left and right.
- ‘J’ Turn with hockey stop to left and right.
- Initiate turn with pole plant and simultaneous small jump to left and right.
BLACK ZONE 7 STAR – Hammerheads
- Long radius turns; press against inside edge of uphill ski BEFORE fall line and hold until finish of turn.
- Ski narrow corridor varying speed and pole plant
- Demonstrate pole plant in moguls.
- Complete slalom course
- Short radius turns with pole plant.
BLACK ZONE 8 & 9 STAR – Smooth-hounds & Galapagos
- The coaching content will include drills and exercises to cover the content as required by the Snow Life Ski Award booklet.
- These 2 awards can only be assessed on snow in a mountain environment. Eg. Alps, Scotland resorts.